Why would my dog poop inside after he has been house trained?

I have a Shih Poo rescue. He is about a year and a half old and I have had him for a year. He was the hardest dog to house train. He even ate his poop. He only poops in the house (never wets)but hasn't had an accident in over 8 months. He barks at the door when he wants to go out, but the last two evenings he pooped by the door. No barking to let me know plus he had been out earlier.

Asked by Member 783753 on Dec 30th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Even house-trained dogs have accidents once in a while. If you ignored his request to go outside, that could be why.

Pooping by the door like that indicates desperation. He wanted to go out, he TRIED to go out, but just couldn't make it.

I'd keep a closer eye on him and let him out BEFORE he asks from now on. That's the best way to avoid accidents.

It's troubling that he ATE it.....let's face it, it's troubling for a lot of reasons.

If he were mine, I'd consult a vet to make sure there's absoultely nothing physical going on. But, to me, it seems like he just couldn't hold it any longer and he was upset that he had the accident.

Athena

I agree with the other posters, but something else to think about is: Do you live in an area that has turned cold recently? Many dogs, particularly smaller ones have this problem when the weather turns cold as they don't like to go outside and be cold.

Regardless of the temperature, I would start taking a pocketful of treats out with me when I took the dog out, and praise the HECK out of it when he goes outside and give him several really really tasty treats. Give him something good to work for.

And another thought, are his bowel movements normal? Could this potentially be a health problem where he just can't physicially "hold it?" I have a dog that for a time had a nasty Giardia infection, and the poor thing could not control her bowels until she got on antibiotic.

Athena answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer