Why would a dog be afraid of the house?

I adopted a 5 year old hound mix, I believe she is an american foxhound. She is very friendly and a completely different dog when she is outside. Outside, she is playful and jumping up and giving kisses, when I take her out for a walk, it takes forever to get her to come back inside, as soon as we walk towards the house, she pulls the other direction. I was wondering if dogs brought up in North Carolina are taught to stay outside and that coming up the house is bad. How do I break this thought for her and let her know that the house is safe?

Asked by Member 741481 on Sep 23rd 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

How long have you had her? I doubt that she doesn't want to go in because she thinks she cannot. It is possible, however, that she was actually NOT allowed in her previous owner's home and they could have hit her or hurt her when she came in. If you do know her background, and that isn't the case, it is possible that she just isn't used to your home. Keep her on a leash in your home for a little while. This will keep her near you and will prevent her from having the opportunity to escape situations she thinks she is afraid of. Carry treats with you and reward her in a positive way so she feels accepted in the home, and feels comfortable. For a dog of her age, it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case. If she lived with the same family the previous years of her life, it would be a situation that she would have become very accustomed to, and probably all she knew, so change might be frightening for her. Keep using positive reinforcements and keep her near you in the home. Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any other questions. I'd be glad to help.

Sounds to me like she's having so much fun outside that she doesn't want to walk to stop.
It's possible. My dog is a running maniac outside, but inside he is pretty much laid back.