why won't my female shepherd husky let male dogs near her when in heat

i have a 2.5 shepherd husky this is the 3rd time i have tried to breed her but she just refusses to let male dogs near her she will play with them but not let them breed her. i just had a male shepherd husky givin to me figured she was in heat again i would try and breed her again. with a different dog she is still not having nothiung to do with it. the bleeding has finally started stopping. i have tried letting them roam the house together thru out the day for the last week but nothing yet. he is 1.5 years old the other dogs i have tried as mates were older then her. what can i do to get her to breed or will she just never breed?

Asked by Member 1071404 on Nov 17th 2011 in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

I heard of a similar case where a female would aggressively rebuff males when in season- and she would solicit other females. Maybe dogs can be lesbians?

If this was a rare breed or champion show/performance dog where getting a litter from her was vital to the future of the breed, you could do an artificial insemination. Most vets know how to do this. But it's expensive and it can be difficult to get the dogs involved to cooperate.

In your situation I'd say it's better to just let it go- Shepherd/Husky mixes are not rare and if you want another one, it's not hard to find. Plus you didn't say whether these dogs have been screened for Hip Displasia, Degenerative Myelopathy, Epilepsy, Juvenile Cataracts or any other health problems common to their breeds. Any responsible breeder owes it to their puppy buyers to prevent genetic disease.

In agreement with Bruno

she should be spayed that has to be hard for her to live in such drama worrying about being pregnant and I don't blame her for for fighting. She is under stress sounds like to me. In a case like this you would be doing her a favor by spaying. She might not even be ovulating properly and you might not be knowing when she is ready which just adds stress to your dogs.
Some dogs are born with defects where they are infertile. this sounds like the case. she will never come into ovulation and she will be in torment wondering why male dogs are bothering her.

Sanka- I'll Miss You

You have a mix breed and you were just given a mixed breed and you're trying to breed them?

WHY?!?! You have no idea of the dog's background. No idea of their genetics or health. It would be reckless to breed like this.

SOOO many husky, shepherd mixes to begin with. Plus, we don't need any more back yard breeder pups.

Good thing the female was tossing them off. This sounds like a horrible situation.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 11/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer