Why won't my dog stop whining?

I have a two year old German Shorthaired Pointer. He whines all the time. He'll look out the living room window and start whining. Then he runs from the window to the back door, whining the whole way. Then he'll run back to the living room, sit right in front of me and whine. I let him out, pet him, tell him no or I ignore him and he still continues. This literally goes on for hours. I'm exhausted. What is the issue? And, what do I do?

Asked by Member 1086235 on Jan 21st 2012 in Barking

Answers

How much exercise are you giving your dog? He is young, (hopefully) healthy and he probably has a great deal of energy. Remember what it was like for you on a warm spring day to be cooped up in school? I know I wasn't happy about being inside confined to my desk!
I would suggest at least an hour of exercise per day for a dog this young. If you can find a place where he can safely run off-leash (do this preferably after he's mastered "Come"!), bring him there every day and let him dash around.
If he's into chasing a ball, bring that with you when you go on your outing. Also remember to bring some water and maybe even a few tasty treats that he can enjoy after his workout. Make this part of your daily time together.
Hope this was helpful!

Callie (Calliope)

My 14 mos GSP does the same thing. And she goes to daycare 5 days a week so she gets plenty of stimulation. She does it even after an hour long walk. I'm hoping he outgrows it. She whines and cries when she's tired.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 3/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer