why wont my chihuahuas ears stand, and how can i make them stand?

My nine month old chihuahua's ears refuse to stand up. I got him from a friend of mine so i know both parents and they both have fully erect ears.

Asked by Member 968910 on Feb 27th 2010 in Answers

Answers

Max

some chihuahuas ears just do that but you can bring him to a vet and get them clipped then they will stand up.

Max answered on 2/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

PLEASE.... DO NOT GET HIS EARS CROPPED!!! It is cruel and it is not a practice done with Chihuahua ears!!! They either stand or they don't. Some times bracing them during teething will help, but at nine months old it is too late to even try that. Just because his parents stand does not mean his will... there are generations and generations of genetics behind his parents and probably both parents carried the genes for hanging ears so that's what he got. Enjoy him for what he is.

I agree 110% with Beanster. Not only is ear cropping painful and unnecessary, but most reputable, good vets won't even do it anymore.

Like Beanster said, it's not a "defect" it's just a characteristic of your particular dog. Love him as he is.

Desmond CGC

I think it's too late to get his ears cropped, and it's totally unnecessary on a breed like a chihuahua who is already 9 months old. I mean,you never know- his ears may stand with age. I've known dogs whose ears flopped over for their entire puppyhood, and then they began to stand as they got older.

But hey, even if they don't, it doesn't matter. I think chihuahuas with drop ears are absolutely adorable. They look like little puppies all the time! (:

Desmond CGC answered on 2/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer