Why wont a starved stray dog eat dogfood from a dish?

I just found this stray-had him wormed & shots, he is heartworm positive-to get treatment-but the dog has been in my house 2 days and won't eat dog food (purina One) I had given him cooked chicken the first day, b/c he threw up in my car when i was bringing him home. Is something wrong-he is very timid- or is he just waiting for more chicken??

Asked by Member 765207 on Nov 9th 2008 Tagged rescue, dog, wont, eat in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Stormy

Well if he was a stray he's been scavaging on HUMAN food for however long he was stray. Dogs will not starve themselves to death, they will eventually eat if hungry enough. You may want to try mixing the chicken with the dog food, or using some canned dog food- heating it up a little makes it smell "better" (to the dog).
Maybe add some chicken broth... anything to intice his appetite. Then gradually switch him from people food back to dog food.

Stormy answered on Nov 9th.

Answers

Google satin balls. Try that until his apetite gets back up. It'll put some weight on him. Other than that, maybe he simply doesn't like the Purina?

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 11/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dexter

He may have suffered abuse. Put it out and leave him alone with it. He may be too afraid to eat it with you there. He will probably only eat a little at a time if he has been starved. If he eats too much too fast, he will get a tummy ache and throw up the food. Let him take the lead and don't try to force him. The vet you took him to would probably have recommended IV or tubing if he/ she thought the weight was a major issue. You can try to lure him with a little beef or chicken broth poured over the food.

Dexter answered on 11/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maybe he just needs some time to adjust to new surroundings and new people. Not knowing his history or how long he was a stray, he just may need to absorb the change. Maybe you can try feeding him from your hand just to gain his trust and assure him that everything is okay. When he does eat, praise him and give him lots of love. Gradually put one piece of food in his bowl and when he eats it, lots of loving. Like someone elsed mentioned maybe a bit of broth over his food may help as well. Best of luck to you and congrats on finding your new fur pal.

Sparky

Purina One is not a good dog food. In fact, it's one of the worst ones. Switch to something like Innova. That's probably why he's not eating.

Sparky answered on 11/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Honey

He needs to adjust to this new lifestyle. Things are moving too fast and he is confused. Just remain calm around him and try not to look him in the eye or talk to him alot. He could have suffered from abuse and does not fully trust humans yet. My sheltie is very timid around strangers so we tell our guests to not look at her, talk to her, or pet her and after a little while she warms up. So maybe you could set him in a room with the food bowl, shut the door, and let him eat in peace. Then come back in about 10 minutes and see if he has eaten the food.

Honey answered on 11/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rascal

I recommend the Blue Buffalo dog food from Petsmart. It is made using the cold process so that the food doesnt lose it's nutritional value. It is slightly more expansive than Wal-Mart dog foods but well worth it. My dogs seem much happier and healthier since I switched their food. Good luck with your new pal.

Rascal answered on 11/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer