Why will my male puppy poop in a room where he is normally not allowed?

My puppy is fully house trained and hasn't had an accident in months, but if the doggy gate is down and he gets into the back room he poops in it, EVERY time. This morning after being outside for about an hour I brought him in and he got past the gate for a matter of minutes. In that time he had gone to that room and pooped, again. I don't know what's causing this behavior, any ideas?

Asked by Member 1116455 on Jun 19th 2012 in Housebreaking

Answers

Koby

Dogs go through stages as they grow up. He's probably going through a brat stage. I would back up on his training and treat him like his is still potty trainIng. Don't let him in that room at all. Good luck.

Koby answered on 6/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you clean up well? Dogs have good sense of smell, if you have not cleaned the place where he pooped earlier throughly, the dog will still consider it a place to poop. Next thing have you made changes in his schedule? if yes then you should go back to the same schedule that you used while potty training him. The best time to correct a pet is when he is still in the act, correction prior or post the act will not help. Correct your dog whenever he enters the room or start excreting. Reward him with treat when he obeys you. Good luck.