Lego

Why is our new rescue dog throwing up?

We just brought our new dog home from the rescue organization today. The lady said that the dog will throw up if he drinks too much. We have been monitoring the water intake but he tossed up clear fluid in the car. He has done that multiple times tonight as well as losing his dinner (from the rescue society).

We did give him some treats after we had been home a while and he settled in a bit. I would blame it on stress but the lady said he did it at the kennel. Any thoughts?

Asked by Lego on Mar 19th 2012 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Starbutt

ok take a look at the gums are they pink if white this is ot good, look at the eyes are they clear no discharge in the conners or out the eyes does the dog pee and poo ok is the poo runny or what does it look like does it have blood or worms in it. As I understand it throws up, get pepto and give your dog a teaspoon the poo with tturn black as it does with us this is normal see if it helps if not get some canned food from the vet it is science of turkey and rice or chicken and rice this is easy to digest if this doesn't work then you need to go to the vet. If you see worms then you need to wrom the dog you can get wormer in the store or vet I use Happy Jack it worked good for me. Don't know what else. it could be stress but I don't think it is all stress

Starbutt answered on 3/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My fist guess is that it is stress, due to the rapid change in his enviornment. My best advice for you would be to go to your local Petsmart or Petco, and look for a Pheramone Spray, this spray consist of a natural smell a mother dog sends off to her puppies and it will naturally calm them. Petsmart has them for $12 and its your cheapest bet. Try that, if you dont see any changes in 2 weeks I would contact your vet. Hope everything works out!

Sounds to me like this dog needs to see a veterinarian ASAP before you all become totally in love with him and then find out he has some serious, expensive veterinary issue.
What did the rescue vet say about his vomiting? And, do you have some sort of contract that gives you some "deciding" time before a final commitment to the dog??
Generally it is an excellent suggestion to get a new dog to your vet for a "wellness" check as soon as you bring them home. This sounds like even more reason to get this done ASAP.
I would NOT be giving anything like Peptobismol without consulting with a veterinarian. NO human medicine should be given to a dog without direct orders from a vet and without that vet telling you any and all issues that can result from that drug. An example is the incidence of pneumonia resulting from the dog inhaling Peptobismal when they vomit it back up. Some Pepto also contains xylitol, an artifical sweetner safe for humans, but FATAL in dogs!!