why is my shih poo getting more agressive?

My shih poo seems to growl and bite at me and strangers when ever he receive food and feels it may be taken away. He also seems to bite and bite at kids more often now. He is presently 15 months.

Asked by Member 875089 on Sep 9th 2009 in Aggression

Answers

The number one cause of canine aggression is owner ignorance and/or neglect on how to properly raise and train their dog.
The first problem stated is resource guarding and is normal. Here's an article on correcting it:
www.paw

The second problem is probably a playful behavior, and not true aggression. So, he does it more often? Probably because, and I am guessing, he's being encouraged to play like that.
The dog is to be encouraged for appropiate play only. You can use rewards, but just continuing the play session may be enough. When he begins play-biting, the play time should end immediately and he should be ignored for a while. If he has trouble calming down, he can also be put in his crate. Not as a punishment, per se, it will only calm him down.
If you don't think it's play, however, then please give more details.

B.J., CGC

Is he neutered??? He is reaching sexual maturity and if not neutered this is a very difficult time for him. Get him neutered as soon as possible, and an obedience class is also a great investment!

B.J., CGC answered on 9/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer