why is my puppy vomiting up food

my 9 week old puppy has been acting very strange. He vomitted up his food and now refuses to eat more than a few kibbles? We took him to the vet only the day before and the doc said it he was just fine. Any ideas?

Asked by Member 513339 on Oct 11th 2007 in Illness & Disease

Answers

ღ Poco

He might have a sensitive stomach. I'd look into a different kind of food specifically for that =)

ღ Poco answered on 10/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Puppies have sensitive stomachs. Try feeding him some good quality wet food (natural balance, artemis) in small amounts or some beef/chicken (cooked) with rice in small amounts. 1/4 cup every 3-4 hours. Make sure he's drinking water. Queasy tummies are part of life. If the vomiting persists for 48 hours or he seems lethargic or dehydrated get him to the vet. A little pup can't go more than 12 hours without drinking water and an older dog not more than 18 hours to be safe.

If you haven't wormed him, talk to your vet, puppies can be full of worms and this can make them sick. It's normal for puppies to have issues with worms the first 8-12 months of their lives. Have your vet prescribe the right amount of worming meds for his age and weight and then you can order it yourself if need be.

Hope your little guy feels better.

I agree that he is probably just adjusting to his food. If it is new food, then he may just need a little time to transiton.

Puppy tummies are a lot like baby tummies; the slightest thing can set them off.

Your vet may have told you to watch for certain symtoms like vomiting immediately after swallowing or after drinking water, especially if the food is undigested.

Some puppies have a rare, but serious congenital problem with their esophagus which causes spontaneous regurgitation.

More than likely, your dog does NOT have this, especially since the vet checked him out.

But, its still good to watch for any vomiting that occurs mid-meal or immediately after eating.

Jack had the same problem as your dog, so I put him on a meal of chicken and rice for about a week. I just baked chicken breast for him and mixed in white rice. I wouldn't keep a puppy on it longer than a week, but it helped his tummy relax.