Why is my potty trained dog suddenly pooping all over the house. She is not sick. How do I fix this

My 2 year old female min pin was completely potty trained and now for the last five months she has been pooping in the house on a daily basis. She goes outside plenty and than comes in and poops, sometimes 3-5 times a day. I love her and I want her back the way she was. We have 2 little kids that are requiring more attention as they grow. Is she mad at us. How do I fix it?

Asked by Member 667468 on Mar 28th 2009 Tagged pottytraininganadultdog in House Soiling

Answers

You fix it by going back to square one. If you can't watch her, crate her. If she potties outside, have a potty praise party and make a huge deal of it. ANY time they potty in the house is a setback, and she's been doing it long enough that you literally have to start over again.
On a dif note, have you taken her to the vet to be sure there isn't a parasite that is causing the overabundance of poops? 3-5 poops a day is a lot for any dog. What are you feeding her? Check the ingredients, if you see corn or wheat, these are of no nutritional value to the dog (and usually the most abundant ingredient in the food) and go right out the other end. Dogs on these foods poop often!!! Definitely check out the food & nutrition forum to find something better!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

While keeping an eye on her and crating her when you can't, is a must, it could be a leadership problem. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at www.dogsbestfriend.com For more on being top dog, see www.dogbreedinfo.com.

Properly processed corn and other grain can be a part of a good diet for dogs. If you really want to get into it, see www.ddgs.umn.edu

I try to stick to that which there is good science to support.