Why is my Maltese shedding little black flecks

My 3 yr. old female Maltese has recently started shedding, what looks like, little black flecks. It isn't lice or flees. I've been told that it's coming from her nails, and it's happening because she wasn't cleaned well enough when she was born. Has anyone heard of this?

Asked by Member 1145441 on Dec 16th 2012 Tagged maltese, female, shedding, blackspecks in Skin Problems

Answers

Nope. But if you're worried about it, and that would certainly worry me, I would give her a bath with a mild shampoo. If that didn't take care of it, I would call the vet.

Alyssum

Little black flecks sounds like flea dirt/feces.

Alyssum answered on 12/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think it is Flea "dirt" which looks like bits of black pepper or dirt on your pet's skin and in the hair coat. It is actually the flea feces, composed mainly of the blood meal ingested by the flea from your pet. The blood is dried out, giving it a black, crackly appearance and texture.
To test this, wet a cotton ball or paper towel and add some of the "black pepper" material. If it dissolves into a reddish-brown material, it is very likely flea dirt, and indication of a flea problem for your pet.

Fleas, especially females that are at reproductive age, consume large quantities of blood, relative to their size and weight.