Lucy

Why is my dog randomly developing a dark patch of fur on her back?

She is an 8 year old Golden Retriever/Dachshund mix with the coat of a golden. It is one small spot on her back and it is only her fur that has changed color, not her skin. It does not seem to be an irritated patch of skin either. Just wondering if this should be a cause of concern or just something that just happens sometimes.

Asked by Lucy on Dec 1st 2010 Tagged fur, darkspot in Health & Wellness

Answers

it's hard to say, a vet can find out.
also there is several types of dermatis. One is blackish and oily looking.
see your vet for testing or a good look

I know in my red or silver poodles if they have suffered ANY irritation to the skin the new hair will often come in darker, but will lighten up to the same color as the rest of the coat after a few months. Perhaps she had an unnoticed insect bite or some other abrasion to her skin a a while back and now the darker hair is coming back in over that area. It also occurs after vaccines, especially rabies.
I had a silver poodle who had surgery once. Several months later he had FOUR large areas where the hair was totally BLACK. My vet told me that was where they attached the clamps for the surgery drape... there was absolutely no indication of anything on his skin, it was only his hair that was black. Within 6 months or so it was the same silver as the rest of his coat.