why is my dog pooping alot

I changed dog food a couple of months ago and ever since then my chesapeake bay retrevier is pooping alot. Not runny. Firm. But alot.Is that normal?

Asked by Member 1023267 on Feb 14th 2011 Tagged pooping in Pet Food

Answers

Hi! Boswell was my chessie. They are great dogs. Anyway, it may just be that the food cleans out your dog's system better. If this food agrees with your dog's matabalism more, then it may clean out his system more efficiently and quicker. I don't think there is anything to worry about, but you may want to wait for a few more answers incase I am wrong. But if there is nothing else wrong except that your dog poops a lot, then I don't think there is anything to worry about what so ever.

We would be better able to answer if you stated what you were currently feeding.
Some of the popular grocery store brands of dog food DO have way more vegetable matter and less meat in their formulas. Since dogs do not digest vegetables, this will result in a much higher volume of stool. Those higher quality meat based dog foods such as Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, and others with less vegetable and more meat will result in much less stool volume for your dog.
It is only a problem in that it creates way more stool for you to clean up. As for a health issue, there is probably nothing to worry about if you dog is otherwise doing good with the food change. I use Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild in rotation with my dogs since I believe they do MUCH better without that added fiber and vegetable matter and, I don't want to have to pick up any extra messes each day!!

Kazba

It could be the food you are feeding. I used to use a cheaper brand of food that I bought at a feed store. And I would almost fill a bag with poop Each week from feeding my kennel of dogs. I switched to Nutro Ultra and now I only get about a half a bag of poop in the bag a week so it cut my pick up in half by feeding a better food. It may be worth a try.

Kazba answered on 2/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer