Bambi

why is my dog peeing all the time?

I just got a 2 year old chihuahua that was suppsed to be pad trained. The previous owner told me that she also let her out of the home to pee in the back yard as well as using the pads.

She is very nervous around people and nervous in general. Im wondering maybe if she is peeing out of fright. She has warmed up to my boyfriend and I but still continues to have accidents.

she is having frequent accidents and little at a time.

Can anyone provide me with a possible explanation?

Asked by Bambi on Aug 6th 2009 in House Soiling

Answers

She may have a urinary tract infection. Take a urine sample and Bambi to the vet.

Cole

Sounds like it could be a UTI to me also.

Cole answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Bambi!

Ask your humans to take you to the vet for a checkup. If it is a urinary tract infection (UTI), you will probably be on antibiotics for a week or more, and it should clear it up.

If it's not a UTI, it could be submissive peeing, especially since you are new and adjusting to your new home. See www.k9techsupport.com for an article called How do I teach my dog to... stop peeing when he is greeted? The Housetraining article on the far left side of the screen is also helpful, especially if you want to start going outside and phasing out the pee pads (which I recommend, if practical).

Ask your humans to keep your environment calm, and to start working with you on learning new things. See the link, above, for instructions on training lots of fun tricks and behaviors. As you learn new things, you will be more confident and less nervous.

Ask them to take you on daily walks, and not to pick you up too much. Little dogs need to use their legs!

Katie answered on 8/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer