Why is my dog not putting weight on his back left leg?

I have a 1 yr old non-fixed male dachshund and when he woke from a nap I noticed he wasn't putting weight on his back left leg. I walked him earlier before that and he was perfectly fine until he went to sleep. I thought maybe his leg went numb from him sleeping on it, but after an hour he is still not putting weight on it. He is also having bad gas at the moment, but I doubt they're related. I've made sure he doesn't lay on that leg and I've tried getting him to walk on it to see if it was just asleep, but so far no luck.

Asked by Member 1018127 on Jan 5th 2011 Tagged backleftlegmaleoneyearyrolddaschundcantputweightpressureonleg in Health & Wellness

Answers

Ah, we are out here in internet land and, even if we were veterinarians, which we are not, we could not diagnose your dog thru the internet. Dachshunds are very prone to spinal issues, which can often present as lameness, or it is also possible he has injured it in some other way.
The only way you can find out what's wrong and get it treated is to have him examined by your veterinarian. Meanwhile, I would not encourage him to walk if he doesn't want to as if it is his spine, this can cause further injury and paralysis.

I hope he is alright. Toto, is right. He needs a vet pronto. It could be a back injury or a leg injury. No guessing.
My terrier gets gas, when he is under stress, so it could be connected.
You'll have to give us an update as to what happened. Best wishes, Dieta