Why is my dog crying when I touch his abdomen area?

My dog Sam has been crying today when he walks or moves a certain way. In hopes to pinpoint the area hurt, I felt around, and noticed that when I touched his abdomen area he would cry! What would cause this to happen?

Asked by Member 512280 on Oct 9th 2007 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

I think I'd take the dog into the vet, just in case.

Pain in the abdomen can be just gas, or even a sore muscle or minor injury, but when a dog is in pain, its best to get him to the vet.

BUT...He could have bloat, or gastric torsion, which is a life threatening condition in which the gut actually twists up on itself causing great pain and death unless surgery is performed.

This would be the worst case scenario, but the main symptom of torsion is sudden abdominal pain.

Larger breeds are much more prone to this problem and it is relatively common in larger, active dogs. Smaller dogs can get it, but the structure of the larger dog's deeper chest makes it more likely.

Jack answered on Oct 9th.

Answers

Murphy

It could be gas. If this is the first day he has complained about it. I wouldnt automatically think the worst. I hope he is ok though if he complains more then 48 hours I would take him in.

Murphy answered on 10/9/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lucky Boy

i would take him to see a vet that happend to my dog. it turned out that he ate a toy and it was stabbing him in the abdomen when he moved!!! he had to have surgery to get it out he was ok after it all! i hope he just has gas!!!! i dont want to scare you

Lucky Boy answered on 10/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer