Why is my dog afraid of me only in the morning?

My dog is Rottweiler/Black Lab/Chow mix and is about 2 years old. We rescued him from the Humane Society about 3 months ago. He is a great dog and listens really well. However, he seems to be afraid of me when I get ready for work in the morning. He’s very timid and holds his head down like he did something wrong and he won’t eat his food. I’m always super nice to him in the morning and give him lots of attention before I leave for work. He didn’t always act this way; just started happening fairly recently. He doesn’t do this with my wife, just me and only in the morning. When I get home from work, he’s really happy to see me. I just want to get an idea of what is bothering him and I don’t want him to be afraid of me. It makes me sad to see him like this, Please Help!

FYI: We used to crate him during the day while at work but we’ve recently let him loose in the bedroom.

Asked by Member 1104254 on Apr 5th 2012 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

It kind of sounds like seperation anxiety.