Why is my boxer suddenly so aggressive to my other dogs?

I have a female boxer that is 18 months old I have had her since she was 7 weeks, I took her to the vet last Wednesday (March10) and she was put on some antibiotics. I have 2 pekignese that I have had for 4 & 7 years they have always been together. Now my boxer wants to attack them all of the time. Nothing has changed in the house or in the way she is treated. She has always been so nice and playful with the other dogs. WHY is she doing this and What can I do to stop it? Thanks so much for all of your help I love my dogs and don't want to get rid of any of them.

She is not fixed and just went out of heat about 2 weeks ago. As soon as my husbands work is a little more stable or my application for assistance through the Humane Society is approved whichever comes first she will be spayed.

Asked by Member 974890 on Mar 17th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I suspect you hit the answer when you wrote your last paragraph. I suspect your girl is growing up and it is not unusual for female dogs to be really bitchy after they have been in heat. This will probably continue for about two months, or about how long she would be pregnant if she had been bred. Your best bet is to get her spayed as soon as possible, however there are no guarantee's that she will return to her "before womanhood" easy going ways now that she has had those hormones circulating thru her system. In the mean time if she were mine I would certainly never leave her alone with the little guys, especially if they are females.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to consult with a good behaviorist about these problems and see if they could perhaps do a home visit and make suggestions to help your family co-exist together in harmony again.

They dont call them bitches for nothing. Are either of your peks females? That can cause issues too.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

You can also check out www.cesarsway.com. This is the Dog Whisperer's website. He offers great tips on how to stop behaviors before they start. good luck!

Petri answered on 3/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer