Why is my adult housebroken dog suddenly peeing on her bed?

My 4-year-old spayed Italian Greyhound, Kamea, has suddenly begun peeing on her own bed at random times in the last 2 weeks.

She was crate trained right after we adopted her as a ~4-mo. rescue and was slow to learn but did better when we trained her with bells on the back door (she wouldn’t bark to be let out). She now has a dog door and has not had a single accident in the house for years.

About 2 wks ago, we noticed she had peed on 1 of her beds (she has 3 in total). We washed it and thought it was a 1-time mistake but she's peed on it several more times since then. (She has not pooped inside at all.)

Also, ~3 wks ago, our neighbor's adult female lab got into our yard and pooped in several places. I know some dogs find this threatening and will pee/poop inside, but Kamea has only peed a few times, only on her bed, and still does ~90% of her business outside. Why only her bed, and how do we stop her from ruining her other beds/blankets? (We've since thrown out the bed.)

Asked by Member 963904 on Feb 14th 2010 Tagged urination, training, housebreaking in House Soiling

Best Answer

Katie

Hi there!

Katie, who is almost 3, had this problem a few months ago. We were very concerned, because she had been pretty easy to crate-train and had never wet her bed before. We were afraid it might be spay incontinence, but then I noticed that she was avoiding peeing (I took her down to San Clemente to spend the day with a friend, and we kept taking her out to give her a potty break, but she refused to squat).

I took her to the vet, who diagnosed a bladder infection. He started her on antibiotics and within a few days she was fine. It was a relief to have such an inexpensive, quick fix! I hope the same thing happens for your Kamea, too.

If the vet gives her a clean bill of health and the behavior persists, I would consult a reputable trainer or behaviorist. A home visit and recommendations should cost less than $100, depending on where you live, and you probably won't need more than one observation/consultation to find a solution.

Katie answered on Feb 14th.

Answers

Hector

This does sound odd. As she has been house trained for so long, and the fact that she only pees in her bed, but still goes outdoors as well, is very strange.

I am wondering if she only does this at night, when she is sleeping? Maybe she doesn't know she is doing this? Maybe something like a kid, who pees his bed without waking up?

You might want to have a vet do some kidney tests on her, to rule out any physical reason for this. Once that is ruled out, then you could search for the behavioral reasons for this.

Hopefully someone else will have more of an insight on this issue.

Hector answered on 2/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

With a sudden onset like this, I'd be suspicious of a bladder or Urinary Tract Infection. These are common in dogs, but a bit more prevalent in girls due to anatomy.

i would take her to the vet for a check up to rule out an issue that is physically causing this.

My sweet little mutt who was spayed prior to six months started having issues with peeing on our couch when she was sleeping. She also wet her bed. Upon waking and finding herself all wet, she seemed to be ashamed of herself. We discussed this with her vet and she has been taking Phenylpropalamine twice daily. She no longer pees while she is asleep.

According to the vet, a small percentage of females lose some of their urinary control after being spayed. Out of three girls, she is our only one with this problem, and a pill fixes it for her.