Zoey

Why is K9 Advantix harmful to cats and not to dogs?

I have been reading about K9 Advantix and I've read that it is toxic to cats. What ingredient in K9 Advantix is bad for cats but not bad for dogs?

Asked by Zoey on Aug 5th 2008 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Best Answer

The ingredient that is toxic to cats is the permethrin (the chemical that gives the Advantix its repellancy to other insects, like ticks, mosquitoes, biting flies). It is easily metabolized by dogs, but not by cats (due to the physiology of the feline).

If you have cats in the household, you can still use Advantix safely if you follow these precautions:

1) do not apply directly to cats
2) if your cats and dogs groom each other, keep them separated until the Advantix dries COMPLETELY! (this can take several hours)
3) Wash your hands immediately after application and/or after petting your dog (if the product is still wet) before you handle your cat.

If you cannot possibly abide by the above 3 rules, perhaps you should consider another product!

Note: Promeris for dogs is also toxic to cats b/c of the amitraz!

answered on Aug 5th.

Answers

"K9" Avantix. K9 as in "canine". It's formulated for dogs. Cats are a different animal with different ways to be treated. Oh, I wish I could explain this better...