Ozzie

why is it a bad idea to let your dog sleep with its owners

Asked by Ozzie on Feb 4th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Who says it's a bad idea???? My dogs have slept with me for the past 50 years and nothing bad has happened to them yet. Read the following forum post FMI. (copy and past and remove any spaces if necessary)
www.dogster.com

Alikazam

Aside from the dirt and fleas, it gives the dog a place in the pack it hasn't earned. You should be the pack leader. And by allowing the dog to sleep with you in your den you elevated your dogs status. It will put him on equal or even superior status than you. Giving him the dominate position.in essence it makes him the boss instead of you.

Alikazam answered on 2/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

I think mainly it's health issues are the reasons why dogs should not sleep with owners. Not only fleas or dirt, but dogs carry in allergens from outside and introduce those to your bedding making you more likely to get sick. Also there can be some hidden things like ringworm that can easily be spread from dog to human.

I don't believe in the theory of pack order being a reason not to. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years, and as long as the owner lets the dog know who is the leader in other ways, where they sleep shouldn't be an issue.

Max sleeps in my son's room, and Tweeker our dog before selpt in either my room or my son's room.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 2/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miley

I agree with some of the answer about the dog thinking it's the pack leader and being dominant, but not fully. I let my dog sleep in the bed with me or my husband (as long as both of us are not in the bed together, just because of her size) but my dog knows who is the leader and knows to follow me. If you don't call the dog on the bed than they think they own it, but it's ok if you are the one calling them up. It's always a good idea to make sure that your dog responds to your commands before allowing them into the bed, but I see no harm in letting them up if they know the pecking order of the house. I just don't see how sleeping with your dog is a bad thing (unless you roll around too much and could possibly hurt the dog, mostly with the smaller breeds like Ozzie.) If you don't roll around much though and Ozzie would not be harmed accidentally I see no problem whatsoever with your pup sleeping with you. Just be careful and it should be fine.

Miley answered on 2/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's not. I've always let my dogs do that. I've never once known anyone who's had problems with it, either. If it's fine with you and the dog behaves himself, go for it.

Jazzy

I've never seen a problem with it. Jazz has slept with me since he was 7 weeks old. Jazz also knows that i'm the alpha. I don't agree that if you let your dog sleep in your bed that he/she is gonna think he is equal to you or superior to you. As long as he/she knows your alpha everything should be okay. As for ticks and fleas.. Ticks and fleas are zoonotic they can jump from your pet to you anytime not just when your sleeping. If you live in really hot climates like parts of arizona and nevada then you don't really have to worry about ticks and fleas unless you take your pet to a foresty area.

Jazzy answered on 2/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I know there was a recent article about how dogs are germy and allowing them to sleep on your bed can make you ill. Sounds scary enough, but I think about how germy children are and how many illnesses we get from them and how we love them anyway because they are a part of our family. My dog sleeps in bed with me. We're both pretty healthy and hygienic and we both seem to enjoy the snuggling. If there's a drawback (aside from dog hair on the quilt), I haven't found one.

I wouldn't say it is a bad idea totally. People love their dogs more than they generally like people. So why not be with the one you love. Most people I know that have pets in bed aren't sexually active anymore anyway. What newlywed would put up with that. Might as well let them dominate your bed, nothin' happenin' there. The very fact that pets are there tells them they are equal, at the least.

If you have allergies or respiratory problems you should not let your dog anywhere near your bed. Feces, dander, hair, and bugs are something I personally don't want against my skin in my bed where I sleep. People are more needy for the dogs love, and will generally be willing to put up with the dog sleeping anywhere just to have them by their side.

I personally think that we should allow pet marriage. Gay marriage partners want benefits from the government, tax breaks, and retirement benefits, so why not pets too?