Luna

why has my husky suddenly lost weight and appetite?

My husky is a little over 1 and her top weight at the vet was 47. After shedding she seems to have lost interest in eating and has dropped to 45. she is a tall girl and vet said she should be between 55-60lbs She is healthy in every other way w/o symptoms. Just dosent want to eat. negative fecal parasite test and vet wants to run expensive tests that may be inconclusive! is this a summer thing? we got her expensive vet food that she ate great at first going up 3lbs in a week but is only eating about half of that now. any help would be great

Asked by Luna on Jun 26th 2013 Tagged skinnyhusky in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Hi there. It may be that the climate is too warm for her and she is trying to conserve energy instinctually. Turn the thermostat to 60 and see if that helps. Also, the vet food might not be palatable for your she-dog. Try mixing Natural Choice Lamb and Rice in little by little with the vet food. Hopefully she is not sick and would like something more natural that is guaranteed to improve her skin and coat, including treats. There is also a NC dry venison bag in purple for sensitive skin and stomach that she might like. However, if she does not seem to be putting on weight after you have tried the Nutro healthy food, I would agree that a vet visit is in order. Be well o husky one!! ^_^

Vance CGC

Huskies are notoriously picky eaters. Odds are nothing is terribly wrong, especially if you are not seeing any diarrhea, mucusy stools, vomiting, etc. They also tend to be lightly built for their size, compared to other dogs. People are shocked to hear my girls weigh under 50lb. I go by how prominent their ribs are and don't worry much about the actual numbers.

The prescription foods tend to be flavorless and poorly formulated, despite their marketing. I'd look around in the Dogster food forums and start a rotation of high-quality foods. Not eating the same thing every night helps immensely as well.

You can also look into additives like ground meat and broth to spike her appetite. Adding some degree of real food is healthy as well as tasting better. I've done a raw diet with all of my 3, because none of them will eat kibble well.

Vance CGC answered on 7/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer