Why has my dog all of the sudden started chewing everything?

My dog is a 3 1/2 year old Corgi/Lab and we've had her for about 2 years. About a week ago we started noticing bald spots on her haunches and realized that she was chewing her fur off (not to the point of bleeding or raw spots but no fur. We took car of it (Hot spot medicine and topical benadryl) and her hair is finally starting to grow back.

But now, she's chewing the couches, carpet, and blankets. Not destroying them or anything, but chewing on them with the front of her teeth only. It's not destroying anything, and we don't exactly mind it all that much, I'm just wondering if there's something wrong, or what would cause this. About a year ago she started chewing on the brush on the back of our vacuum the same way, but it's been ages since she's done that

Asked by Member 802695 on Feb 9th 2009 Tagged randomchewing, frontofteeth in Chewing

Answers

Katie

Hi there!
It sounds like the chewing is a relatively new activity that is giving your dog an enjoyable sensation. But it could turn into an obsessive habit, if it goes on too long.
I wonder if your doggy is getting enough exercise and mental stimulation. If the vet doesn't find anything physically wrong, I would suggest taking her on more walks, visiting the dog park or dog beach for some off-leash fun and socialization, and finding other physically and mentally challenging activities. As my trainer says, "A tired dog is a good dog."
My family takes me to the dog park almost every day, and we also go once a month or so to an all-breed sheep herding class. I have Husky friends who participate in urban mushing, where other breeds are welcome. And agility is another thing a Corgi/Lab would be good at.
If it's raining outside and I can't run or exercise, my family gives me a rawhide bone to work on for a while. That is a form of mental challenge, and it keeps me from chewing the couch.

Katie answered on 2/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

She is itching herself badly, I would take her to the vet asap.
She could be getting an allergic reaction to the soaps in the blankets or downy/fabric softner.
I would also rule out any allergies to food. Maybe find out what she was eating before you got her.
The vet can scrap her skin and see under the microscope if she has any mites.
I would vaccum the carpets very well and remove all the blankets.