why doesnt my puppy want to eat anythig?..HELP

I've had my 13 week old Chi-Poo (chihuahua/poodle) since the end of June and from the start he's been eating 'Wellness puppy mix' dry food. He would always go crazy for it and all of a sudden in the last 2 days he wont eat it. When is time to eat I put it in his bowl and he just looks at it and walks away or lays next to it completely ignoring the food. The only way he'll eat it is if i hand feed it to him piece by piece.

Has anyone ever experience something like this? I don't know what to do.... Other than that he's been kind of quiet as well but if I initiate "playtime" he'll play along. Sorry for the long post, just a bit worried. I'm taking him to the Vet tomorrow for a check up. Hopefully he's just going through a phase.

I dont really want to change the brand of food because Wellness is natural and healthy.. I want my puppy to eat high quality food only.

Asked by Member 871807 on Aug 28th 2009 Tagged food, puppy in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I agree, wellness is what I feed all 3 of my dogs. I would take him to the vet as normal healthy puppies like to play & eat...it could be any number of things from parasities to any number of infections or even a reaction to any recent shots he has...try calling the vet and see what he or she thinks...most likely he/she will want to see the puppy. I think a good question for one to ask themselves to resolve a what to do when it comes to a vet is: If this were a child that stopped eating normally & playing, would I see a doctor or just wait.? Sometimes it could be just a little something wrong, but god forbid, you let something seriouis go...how would you feel. I hope this helps to answer not just your question, but so many others that ask similar questions. Hope all will be well.

B.J., CGC

Glad you are checking with the vet. An idea might be that he is teething?? This is the age when those baby teeth start falling out and it hurts!! It would especially hurt to chew, I would imagine. Some pups even get a slight fever with teething. Hope it's as simple as this!! Good luck.

B.J., CGC answered on 8/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

This does sound too sudden to be an over feeding problem. Going to the vet is the right thing to do. Discuss his body condition with the vet. Changing foods is seldom the right solution for any problem but a food allergy.

Maverick

Taking your pup to the vet is the right thing to do! I hope that everything is ok and that he is just teething as another poster had said!

Maverick answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer