Why does the vet have to cut off my dogs balls when he gets neutered?? They don't do that to people?!?!

I know this is a strange kinda question but I really wanna know.....!

Asked by Member 780973 on Feb 17th 2009 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Well most humans don't have this procedure done, and there are reasons why.

Dogs do NOT need to breed, regardless of what people think. The ONLY reason to breed dogs is to better the purebred breeds, and these dogs need to meet or exceed the breed standard to even qualify. They need to have champion lineage or have been titled themselves, and they need to be at least two years old. Dogs and most owners are happier when they have been neutered. An intact male can often be difficult for the average person to handle - they want to mark, are constantly looking for females in heat, and it can cause a lot of stress on the owner and the dog. Neutering the dog helps eliminate these types of behaviors and makes for a more manageable dog.

Humans do need to reproduce, and having human children is definitely different than having puppies.

Bandit

When we got our last dog Dude (R.I.P.) we got him fixed when he was a year and a half old. They just took what was inside of them out. After the surgery he still had the skin from them. It just looked like shrivled pruns. With Bandit he got fixed at 8 weeks old and his balls never dropped before he got fixed, so he never had any hanging down. It is just they way they do it.

Bandit answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Pippin

As far as I know (not being a Vet or anything) the answer to your exact question (why the testicles are removed in dogs and not in humans) is a combination of vanity and hormones. Human males wouldn't want their testicles removed because it would make them look weird to themselves, and more importantly, to women.

But, more importantly, part of the reason why it is recommended to neuter a male dog is to make him less agressive. Completely removing the testicles removes a lot of the hormones that cause agressiveness. So, if the testicles were left in, and the tubes cut, the dog couldn't get a female dog pregnant, but it would still have the agressive tendencies. In human males, if testicles have to be amputated from an injury, many have to take hormone medicines to keep their hormones in balance.

If you're worried about your dog looking less studly, there's a company out there that makes fake testicles for dogs... really.

Pippin answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

The testicles being cut off is what keeps the dog from being able to sire puppies.

If one wants to have it look like their dog still has testicles, they can always get neuticles. Neuticals are completely unnecessary though, and only done because of the desires of the owner.
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Tank

I'm no vet but from what I've been told is that they normally remove just the testicles. In puppies their sac actually hasn't dropped yet or if they started to the skin shrivels up just a little. Our dog Tank got neutered when he was one so his balls had already dropped. Now all he's left with is a droopy, flat sac. After a nap we call him Pancakes because they flatten out :) But think of it this way, would you rather have no sac or just a lot of droopy skin that resemble pancakes when you sleep?

Tank answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In addition to preventing unwanted puppies, the purpose of neutering a dog is to quell his URGE to mate. As people, we hope we can contain our own urges, but if we simply gave our male dogs vasectomies, they would continue to try to mate with bitches in heat. They would continue to be aggressive with their competitors and in general be less attentive to our wishes in the face of their strong sexual urges. Let me guess - you're a male writer?
Vinnygret

I had kind of the opposite reaction when my 1 1/2 yr old got neutered. They left the sacs and they were super swollen. I was convinced that they hadn't neutered him at all. His neutering had some very minor complications, but his sacs stayed really swollen for almost two weeks. I was afraid that when they did finally shrink, they'd still be visible and if people saw them, I'd get an earful when out in public.
They finally shrank away and now are completely covered in fur. But, for a while there I thought there were going to be prunes hanging back there.

Dante

To answer your question as to why they remove the testicles:
They remove the testicles because otherwise, if they just tied off the cords there would be no way to know whether or not a stray dog has been previously neutered. They do this more for verification purposes. Also, they do this to cut down the testosterone produced. When male dogs are fixed, they make an incision just above the scrotum, & pull the testicles out through this small cut. the testicles are then removed but the scrotum is left in place. They did come out with non-surgical procedure a few years ago. It is a medication they inject into each testicle, called "Neutersol". It prevents the dog from producing sperm & the testicles decrease in size. However, there was a huge controversy over this. If a dog sterilized with this injection where to be re-homed or taken to the pound, it would be down right impossible to prove he has been sterilized. The new owners would most likely have him surgically neutered.

Dante answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer