why does my yorkshire terrier bark at people and other dogs when they walk pass the house or while were out on a walk ?

my yorkshire terrier is now 9 months old we got her at 4 weeks old from a breeder .
everytime some walks pass the house or when were out on a walk she barks at people ever with or without a dog .
is there any way we could stop her doing this.
Thank you Elisa x

Asked by Member 631739 on May 11th 2008 in Fears & Phobias

Best Answer

Jazzy (:

Guest, I'm sorry but I read the other answers and I don't think this has anything to do with the breeder or when you got her. Yorkshire Terriers are protective dogs. All terriers think they are big dogs. I know one Terrier who acts as if he is a great dane...he is very protective over his owner also. I think your little yorkie is just being protective over you and also needs to be socialized. She thinks she is a big dog so she tries to protect you with her little bark. It might sound silly but it isn't.
I would try and get your yorkie socialized by taking her out a lot and make sure she gets petted by other people (strangers). If she gets agressive...then that's a totally different situation. There are some books at Pets-Mart and other pet stores that tell you ways to socialize your dog. I'd check one of those books out and see what you can do.
I hope I answered your question.
Jazzy and Mom.

Jazzy (: answered on May 11th.

Answers

Juno

To date, four weeks is the earliest I have ever heard of a dog being taken away from it's mother. The breeder you got your dog from must have either, (a) had no idea what he/she was doing, or (b) had no heart. The time puppies have with their mother and litter is crucial for them to learn important social skills. They learn how to behave around other dogs, so the barking issue may have something to do with your yorkie not having enough time with its birth family. Can you imagine taking an infant from its mother and having it grow up with a different species? How does it cope? In many states, it's illegal to take a dog from its mother before 8 weeks of age, but good breeders keep the pups with their mothers for ten weeks or more.

My advice for the barking is proper socialization and positive reinforcement training. An obedience class would be a good place to start. I also urge you to only purchase from responsible breeders in the future.

Juno answered on 5/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Guest, Juno is right. No good, reputable breeder lets you take one of their puppies home until the puppy is AT LEAST 8 weeks old. Unfortunately, Juno my friend, I have heard of a so-called breeder that let someone take a puppy at only 3 weeks old, when the puppy was still nursing.
Guest, as to why your dog barks at people on walks, this is normal and she is being territorial. Follow Juno's advice on that matter.

Rocky

I think when she does bark you need to spray her with a water bottle and say 'no bark'.

Rocky answered on 5/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kuma

My dog used to do that too, but as he started getting older he kind of mellowed out. I agree that she is just being protective of you and her home, as long as she doesn't get too aggressive. I like the fact that my dog barked at people walking past my house...there are a lot of weirdo people on my street. Good luck.

Kuma answered on 5/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer