Why does my Shih Tzu keep licking her fur off?

I thought she was licking herself due to allergies--but I have switched to limited ingredient food and had the house cleaned, this isn't helping. Also thought it could be anxiety, but she is not really consitent about when it occurs... Do those thundershirts really work? Also she seems to do it if she hasnt been bathed in a while... I plan on taking her to the vet, but she is a skittish little girl and I do not like stressing her out. Any ideas as to why she might be doing this, what else I can do to help her, or even ways to stop this behavior?

Asked by Member 1142930 on Nov 29th 2012 Tagged shihtzu, anxiety, allergies in Allergies

Answers

Mika

you can't just not take her to the vet because she is skittish though. It could be something irritating her skin, does she always do it in the same spot? is it every day? I think i would take her to the vet to be safe
Good luck :)

Mika answered on 11/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Unlike cats, dogs seldom lick themselves to clean their fur. If your dog's licking is caused by health problems or if it is causing health problems, then the first thing to do is to see your veterinarian. There are medications which are helpful in reducing the need to chew or lick.
If excessive chewing and licking are not due to health problems, then take a close look at your relationship with your dog. If your dog is shy, introverted, or is quick to go into submission, and there is stress because of his relationship with you, he will likely direct his attention inwardly. Mouthing, chewing, or licking are methods he uses to relieve tension. This situation can be created by an over-attentive, neglectful, or abusive human.

If you are overattentive, try withholding your petting and praise for those times when your dog responds to some direction by you. Tell him to sit, then praise and pet him. Give him attention only when you are acting as his leader and after he follows your lead.

Tiara

I work at petsmart where they sell the thundershirt. I would say that of the people I have talked to that have bought them. About 80% say it does help with their dogs. It may be worth loking into.

Tiara answered on 11/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

0927..when you copy and paste someone else's words that is plagiarism. Please stop googling key words then pasting crap in Answers without citing your numerous sources. If you have recently changed foods, it does take a while for the effects to be seen. You might want to try a raw diet. It does wonders for many dogs with allergies.
She might be bored..how much exercise & training does she get?