Lexi (Rainbow Bridge)

Why does my Shih-Tzu bark when I leave?

I have an 8 month old female Shih-Tzu (Lexi). Every time we have to leave she starts to bark as soon as we shut the door. She is fine being by herself at night when we go to bed. I have tried verbally correcting her, and just ignoring it. Nothing seems to work. I don't want her to be unhappy, but I can't always take her with me. Our 3 year old boy Shih-Tzu (O'Malley)never did this. Is this normal? Is there anything I do do to correct this behavior? Thanks for any advice!!!!!

Asked by Lexi (Rainbow Bridge) on Jun 27th 2009 in Barking

Answers

she may be stressed, or just a barker.
I would find her a nice dog bed. And also place a frozen peanut butter kong toy down as you leave.
Also break up the same old routine. Go sit and watch tv for about 3 min after getting your keys. Also place the keys in your pocket so they don't rattle.
or place some toys by the door on a hook. And when you leave toss some about to distract her, there is many things to do to desensitize the dog to you leaving:)

Separation anxiety will cause a dog to bark constantly. Many times you, the owner, are the cause of it. If you find yourself worrying about leaving the dog while you are getting ready and you find yourself going through all that wonderful "baby dog talk" we have been known to go through. STOP IT!

What you are doing is creating nervous anxiety and upsetting your dog.

Instead, do not look, talk or pet your dog while you are getting ready to leave. Ignore your pet completely, don't even think about he/she during the process of getting ready. Concentrate on work or whatever you are going to do.

Just before you are ready to walk out the door, get your pet's favorite toy and several treats, put them in a room away from the door and without a GOODBYE, leave. Nine chances out of ten, your dog will accept the fact you are gone and will be quiet.

Whether you believe it or not, pets pick up on our anxiety and respond to it.