Why does my puppy stress when in the car?

I rescued a 3 month old Brittany and she was driven from Missouri to Maine, so that may be why she pants,
whines, and stresses when in her car seat. I used to use a crate, but thought she would do better on the
seat..... My vet suggested Dramamine or Benedryl, but
neither has helped. At least she doesn't throw up
anymore. she is now 6 months old and we have a 3 hr
drive at X-mas, any ideas?? vickiescoot

Asked by Member 1145573 on Dec 17th 2012 in Travel & Recreation

Answers

Some dogs it takes awhile to get used to riding in cars. It dies sound like she is getting better. If you can not use a crate. We gave held small dogs to held comfort then. It bigger dogs have them sit next to someone. And it that persons job to keep them calm and talk to the dog. The last rescue I brought home, my father sat in the back seat with the dog while I did the driving. The crate nay be the vest. But in holding the dog has worked for me

Spunky  ,

My pup at 9 mnths still stresses in the car. I pet her, talk to her and yes she still gets car sick. My vets not sure what to do because she is already on medication. It is better than in the beginning though. Perhaps semi frequent car stops/walks would help.

Spunky , "The Kissing Monster answered on 12/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rufus

It seems like most dogs love to go for rides, but some smaller dogs get very upset. I think it is because they can't see where they are going. We got our little yorkie a car seat that is raised enough that he can see where he is going and he loves it. If we try to take him without the seat, he is a nervous wreck.

This isn't the same seat that we got, but it is a lot like it: www.fidopaw.com

Rufus answered on 1/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer