why does my puppy eat her own poop?

my new 9 week old puppy is eating her own poop! she was in a womans house with other dogs. we think the other dogs did not let her eat so she ate her own poop instead... got any sugjestions??

Asked by Member 1126512 on Aug 30th 2012 in Puppies

Answers

Sometimes dogs eat their poop because they can and other times their are health issues. I would have a vet check her out.

Usually when a dog eats their own stool its because of the enviornment they were raised in. So you have the right idea with her past. There really isnt a harm from it, other than their stinky breath! Just make sure she is dewormed regularly. Your only legit option to prevent or stop this behavior is to pick it up once it hits the ground. Chances are, your Vet is going to give you the same advice, but there is never any harm in getting a check up, just in case :)
I hope that helps!