Ceasar

why does my puppy constantly nip and growl at me whenever i say no?

why is is that whenever i am playing with my puppy ceasar, he will start nipping at me? or when i am laying down somewhere, he will nip hard at my arms, ears, hair, feet, etc, and when i firmly say 'no' to him, he just softly growls at me and bites even harder? can anyone please help me out since this is getting very, very, annoying and i dont know what to do!

Asked by Ceasar on Aug 3rd 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Winnie Mae

Actually, "no" will probably just encourage the problem.
Friends of mine have the same issue. It's a puppy thing :*)

This is what I do when a dog nips or bites me:

As soon as you feel the teeth down on your hand/arm/hair/etc, yelp in a high pitched, loud voice, similar to the yelp you hear a dog give when he is in pain. Act like it hurts a LOT, even if it really didn't.

Then right away, quickly stand up and turn your body away from him, and fold your arms across your chest. Totally ignore him. Then, when he's settled down, you can sit back down with him. If he nips again, you repeat the whole thing.

It works really fast with most dogs. I used the method with a five month old Doberman and in five minutes she stopped nipping me (note that she still nips her owner, who only ever says "no" to her, while jerking his arm/leg around like a game of tug)

Winnie Mae

Winnie Mae answered on 8/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sonny

Unless you follow doggie rules of disipline he won't think you mean it.....well, he also has no idea what you are saying.

Words are just sounds, they make no sense to dogs. They way we say the words carries more meaning, but then you have to show them an action to go with the sound.

For puppies, if they bite, say "NO!", get up instantly and ignore them, walk away, leave the room if you must. This tells puppy you won't play if he bites.

Also teach him to lick instead by putting peanut butter on your palm. While he licks, use the cue, "lick" or "kisses". As he gets the hang of it switch to a treat in a closed hand or covered on the floor. If at any time he bites, claws or growls, take your treat, get up, and ignore him.

Sonny answered on 8/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If he is doing this after you say no, then the dog views the <no> word as a reward.
You will need to use something else and offer the dog something else to bite. Place some toys where he does this and use the toys to bite on. Once he bites the toy praise him. Hopefully he will get this game and stop.
Biting is playing for most puppies. I use the toy method, and I also buy the rubber kongs they are hrs of chewing enjoyment and also saves your arms and hands.
It will pass after teething. That might be for the first year even after teething.

They sometimes do it ,1. they get mad at you 'cause it's sad so it tries to make you say yes. 2.It's what pups like to do.

Mine does the same thing. lol. it is annoying!! he's gotten most of his adult teeth so it is getting better. i keep toys by my side all the time and give him one. i have also learned that going for walks every night seems to help. i think they just have a lot of energy and do it to make us play.

every night on the couch he jumps up and starts growling and barking. usually i can get him to fetch a ball or toy. but the walks really do help.