Why does my Pom bark at her water bowl?

My female Pom is 7.5 years old. About two months ago she started barking at her water bowl for no apparent reason. The bowl was a black glazed bowl so I thought maybe she was seeing her reflection and changed the bowl out for a another but she still barks. She wants you to go over by her while she drinks. You can see that she is apprehensive to drink even with me standing there. She stands back and very cautiously approaching the bowl looking back to see if I am still standing there before she will eventually drink. I am about to lose my mind as she does this almost every time she needs a drink no matter the time of day. I have also tried moving the bowl to a different location and nothing works. Is she truly scared of the bowl or is she just wanting attention? I am stumped! It's as if she was bitten or frightened by something and can't forget the event....just guessing! Please help!

Asked by Member 994011 on Jun 24th 2010 Tagged barking, waterbowl, afraid in Barking

Answers

Blackie

Do you have another dog? She may HAVE had an experience with water that she cannot get over.

Blackie answered on 6/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brutus

Your Pomeranian could still think that she is seeing her reflection. What kind of bowl did you switch to?

Or, like Blackie said, did she have a bad expirience with water at some point? She could be afraid of water. With lots of praise when she goes near her water bowl, it can fix the problem.

Brutus answered on 6/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

maybe try elavating it off the floor maybe she is nervous or afraid it will move.
You can also try putting a towel under the bowl and where she will be standing maybe something spooked her just hard to say what.
Sometimes even dog tags that bang on the bowl disturbs some dogs. They make tag covers for sale at any pet store, it stops the clanking.
The only other thing I can think of is the type of material, switch from plastic to metal or vise versa... what ever works.
good luck