Tinkerbell

why does my lab whine constantly?

She whines almost incessantly, whether I'm paying attention to her or not. It is driving me crazy, and she is such a sweet, smart dog that I don't want to get rid of her. HELP !!

Asked by Tinkerbell on Jan 5th 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Not enough info to give a really helpful answer, but either she is hurt or wants something. Try asking her questions, such as "Hungry?", "Thirsty?", "Want out?", "Want a walk?", etc to determine the cause. Check her over to make sure she isn't hurt somewhere.
If she has no good reason to whine, then there's good news: There is a fool proof way to stop it, as long you follow one rule. And the rule is: Ignore her completely and she'll figure out that it does no good. It may take a while, but she'll come around.
Unless of course you think she may have a good reason to whine.

Cricket

My niece Cricket is a whiner, also a pacer and anxiety case.

She does not know what to do with herself and the anxiety is driving HER nuts.

Think about it - you can go out for the day and escape her anxiety - the dog is stuck with it 24/7.

With Cricket lots of basic training and direction to build self esteem and confidence. Positive and gentle training methods only! If you have't taken a dog training class recently - sign up - the times have changed for the better.

Exercise - with enough activity for the mind and body the dog will calm down.

Structure - a routine and set of rituals the dog can rely on. We have feeding, leashing, grooming and training routines that give the day and week a pattern the dogs can follow.

Disipline - please note the root word means "to teach" - not to punish. When the dog is whining ignore - no matter how hard. But the moment she stops - reward and praise! If everyone does this all the time she will learn.

Cricket answered on 1/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think it is really hard to say without seeing the dog and interacting with her
A dog can whine for many things. What is going on I can not be sure.
You can try several things and see if maybe perhaps she is bored or maybe she is just a nervous dog that needs to be calmed now and then.
Sometimes just placing a bed down and getting down with her , encouraging the dog to lay on a doggie bed, then petting her telling her she is good a few times a day can even help.
But, like I said it is really hard to say without seeing her.
She may start to enjoy walks and even some swimming in your area, weather permitting. Some of the field dogs like Labs are very high energy and they have to burn off the energy and be mentally stimulated alot.
so keep trying, try to find out what makes her happy and make a routine of it.

Sassy

Sassy whined constantly until she started agility training when she was about 4 years old. Walking, hiking, biking, training, playing were not enough for her. When she retired at 11 years of age she started whining again for a while. Trying to put whining on cue and then ask her to whine until she tired of doing it did not work as she was unaware of her whining.

I suspect she would like to be your partner and do something important with you.

Learning to help you out around the house? Max gets a huge thrill delivering the mail. Sassy likes to pick up after her messes. Max likes to put away toys.

Maybe put obedience skills together with a fetch game like field trial training? For some reason going out and laying down before getting to pounce is even more fun than just chasing down the toy for Max.

Doing freestyle, frisbee, flyball, agility, rally, obedience, field work, tracking are all sports where you are partners as well.

Sassy answered on 1/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Johnny

Is she in pain?
Has she been to the vet?

These are things that you need to think about before you get annoyed by the whining. Her whining is the only way for her to try to tell you something.

Johnny answered on 1/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer