Buster

Why does my dogs butt smell like fish?

Asked by Buster on Dec 22nd 2007 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Tifanny

Your dog may need to have its anal glands expelled. Have you ever had this done before? Groomers will do this when the dog is groomed. You can also pay a vet to do it for you OR you can learn to do it yourself. The glands are located at around the 10:00 and 2:00 'area' of the anus. IF the glands are impacted, then this can cause the noxious odours that you may be smelling. Impacted glands can also lead to infection which can lead to hair loss! Nasty stuff, no matter what, believe me...

Tifanny answered on 12/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roscoe the Racehound™

I can recognize that smell anywhere!
Your dogs anals probably need to be expressed and is usually done when taken to the groomer.
Is there any leaking? If it's not expressed for a long time it can cause problems and require surgery.
The anal glands can be found on the outside of the butt, if you place your fingers on both the side of the rectum/anus (like your thumb and forfinger}it will feel like too little balls, squeeze it gently and that liquid should come out- I recommend doing this outside for it will be very stinky, and can be messy.
If you'd rather not do it, take him to the vet or groomer to get it done :]

Roscoe the Racehound™ answered on 12/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer