why does my dog twitch and make noises when she is asleep

My dog has made noises and twichted to the point that she wakes up since we got her from the shelter. Why?

Asked by Member 1020161 on Jan 23rd 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Kiki

She could just be dreaming. When we got Kiki she would have some really bad, twitchy dreams for the first little while but slowly they went away. Good luck!

Kiki answered on 1/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sounds like she is dreaming. Wiley gets a big grin & his paws twich, his legs move, he barks, growls...even wakes himself up at times. As he gets older I like to think that in his dream he catches those pesky crows & racoons that steal his bones. lol

Rebeckha

I agree most likely dreaming. My Pit had awful nightmares all his life. Mention it to your vet the next time you see them just to be sure.

Rebeckha answered on 1/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Roxy Rapheal

Interesting question. I got my dog rescue too. Her past was colorful and less fortunate. I got her at 15mnths. For the first three months she would do as you have described and then some. I even caught her suckling in her sleep. I reckon that they are dreaming. Like us, perhaps processing the events in their day, subconsciously that they haven't worked out consciously during their waking hours.. ? For those times it was clear that Roxy was having a bad dream, I would place my hand gently on her so to calm her.
I suspect that your dog is simply processing.
A similar post is here: MY DOG TWITCHES IN HIS SLEEP WAY MORE THAN NORMAL www.dogster.com

Roxy Rapheal answered on 1/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Fincastle

Yes, my mom and I think she is dreaming. My mom and dad have three pups and we all came from very different backgrounds. We all have good and bad dreams. My sister Natti is a German Shepherd who grew up in a loving, secure home, my sister Brownie Anne is an All American who was abused and passed around (at least four different homes) until she came to live with us and I am a young Treeing Walker Coonhound was found wandering around the countryside nearly starved to death.

Here are mom's dream rules: If one of us seems like we're having a bad, stressful dream...whining, soft yelping...she speaks very softly and kindly until we gently awaken. Then she gives us lots of hugs and happy talk.
If it seems we're having a fun dream...paws twitching, tail wagging, she lets us sleep.

She just wishes we could tell her about our dreams after we wake up!

Fincastle answered on 1/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer