Why does my dog spin before she poops? Like she is looking for the perfect spot to go.

Asked by Member 607709 on Mar 14th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Most dogs do this and it's pretty normal behavior. It's generally thought that they do this to make sure the place they're going is safe and suitable.

Layla

I have no idea why they do this but it sure is goofy, isnt it? We even have one who spins as she's doing her business so she'll sometimes make a full circle.

Layla answered on 3/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily

I was curious about your question too. We have one dog who goes in circles and one dog who doesn't.

Here's what I found from dog central:

There are at least two thoughts on why dogs circle before defecating or urinating, says Tony Kremer, a veterinarian and dog behavior expert who runs a Web site, DrTony.com. One reason, Kremer says, is to “scan the terrain for predators so they don’t get ‘caught with their pants down.’” Dogs also use their keen sense of smell to know who was there before. “They may be [homing] in on just the right spot to mark with their scent,” he adds. There’s no harm in indulging this behavior, other than standing around in the elements waiting for your dog to find a spot she likes.

dogcentral.msn.com

Lily answered on 3/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cocoa Bean

Lily that was a great answer. I have to add that some pup in my family who is a Chihuahua and pretty tiny * sorry Cocoa* wont go in circles but scratch the wall. She has to poop facing a wall even in the backyard and she goes left to right scratching the wall and jumping up and down.I guess dogs have pretty odd ways to explore the potty area. GTreat question too.

Cocoa Bean answered on 3/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

HERBIE

MY HERBIE CHIHUAHUA GOES IN CIRCLES TOO!
HE ALSO DOES NOT LIKE ANYONE WATCHING HIM GO POOP, IF HE SEES YOU WATCHING HIM, HE WILL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE SO YOU CAN TSEE HIM. HE ALSO LIKES TO POOP ON SMALL BUSHES, LARGE ROCKS, SIDEWALK CURBS, AND CACTUS. HE DOES A FRONT PAW-STAND AND LIFTS HIS READ UP IN THE AIR.... STRANGE, BUT I LOVE HIM,,
ALWAYS GOOD FOR A FEW GREAT LAUGHS

HERBIE answered on 3/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow NPC, MDM

I jump up and do circles in the air and bark my fool head off before I poop. The first time I did it mom and dad laughed so hard they were crying. They say it's funny to watch plus I sound like a seal when I bark.

Shadow NPC, MDM answered on 3/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer