Sam

Why does my dog smell nice for a long time after a PetsMart bath, but begins to smell not long after I give him a bath?

This is actually not an original question. I don't know if anyone has heard of MetaFilter, but they have an excellent questions and answers thing like Dogster, but for any topic known to mankind. This question was posed in this thread (ask.metafilter.com ), and I had to agree with Striker (the original poster) on this.

That said, I'm not sure that the anal glands theory is the answer in Sam's case. When I asked them about it, they said his hadn't been evacuated. So is it the shampoo? The method they use? What? If so, then what shampoo or what method?

Asked by Sam on Jan 16th 2008 Tagged grooming, odor in Home Grooming

Answers

Winston

When we do grooms ( and the girl I work with used to work at petsmart and said it's similar) We use an earth friendly dog shampoo called earthbath. We use the mango tango scent for dogs who have no skin issues and it's amazing. It's is reasonably priced at $15 bottle and you can buy it at alot of pet stores. You can also order in bulk if your dog required alot of bathing. We shampoo the first time, and then rinse after five minutes, then shampoo again leaving the shampoo on for another five minutes. Then rinse and once their dry they get a spritz of skin conditioner/ deoderant ( which earthbath also sells for about $15) It smells amazing!!! My dog is a lab, she never gets a bath, but if she smells I just use the deoderizing spray ( just a little, its strong) The products are also surprisingly gentle and it does'nt irritate my dogs very sensitive skin. I love this stuff( they have alot of different scents like lavander, mango, peppermint etc but my favorite is the puppy scent.

Winston answered on 1/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

It could be the shampoo you are using. I recently came across a herbal peppermint dog shampoo that works miracles. Depending on your dog and his activities, the bath will last for a good 3 weeks. It is sold at your local herbal store, I'm not sure about Petsmart and Petco. Give it a try. it always helsp with ticks and fleas.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 1/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer