Why does my dog smell after a walk?

I have a 2 year old shih-tzu/bichon frise mix which most people would consider to be a low to no shedding, low allergen dog. I bathe her usually every other month depending on the season and if she gets into any dirty messes. Generally she smells pretty good in between baths and has been very very low odor however I do notice that after vigorous walks she gets that kind of "doggy smell" throughout her entire body, the odor that most heavy shedding dogs get after a romp in the rain (I don't mean that "corn chip" smell that most dogs have on their feet). The smell last for an hour or so after a walk and kind of dissipates. As far as I know, dogs don't sweat in the same way as humans, so it can't be related to the exercise, or is it? For me its not a problem since the smell goes away but i am curious.

Asked by Member 1103511 on Apr 1st 2012 Tagged smell, odor, walk, hypoallergenic, lowshedding, shihtzu, bichon in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

Carter

I don't know if this could be the reason but when my dad first met my step mom and I would come inside from being outside she would always complement how i "smelt like outside" i thought she was crazy.Once i got into high school and upon entering college i notice that my brother would have the same "outside smell". About a week ago my boyfriend had made the same "outside smell" about me and the dog "smelling like outside". So what i think its just the different mixtures of smells being outside that get attached to your dog and maybe even you too but you don't realize it.

Carter answered on 4/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer