Elsa

Why does my dog sit down and whine on walks?

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is capable of walking several miles on walks. We often do a two-mile loop and she comes inside and still wants to play. Now, about half the time she starts to whine and jump on my leg or just sit down about five minutes into the walk.

I know she can't be tired after only a few minutes -- is it just that she isn't in the mood to walk? Her breed is prone to weight gain, so I really don't want her to get lazy!

Any tips to keep her going or any suggestions why she doesn't want to walk?

Asked by Elsa on Sep 14th 2011 in Exercise

Answers

not sure. I would take her to the vets and let them know about this behavior, it could be nothing, but maybe there is some orthopedic issues?
or maybe she's one of those dogs who would rather play ball instead. my dog can be bored on walks. she loves to swim more or play frisbee instead. walks can be boring for dogs.
sometimes I bring a ball with me and stop at the park or make it practice to walk but walk to a park instead that seems to be a plus then :)

At only four months old a two mile walk all at once is pretty far for her. Don't forget, her bones and joints are still growing and excessive exercise, particularly on paved sidewalks is pretty punishing for a small breed puppy, and can cause wear and tear on soft cartilage, wear that can translate into arthritis and pain when she is older.
If she were mine I would keep her walks down to about a half mile until she is grown to her full adult size.
When she is playing, she can stop when she's tired and needs a break... if she is walking on a leash she can't. She is probably telling you she has had enough already.

whoa! 2 mile walk for a 4 month old toy breed puppy? too much! it's just tired. i have an akita. it can stand it. the breed is small, and its too young. walk from 1/2 a mile to 1 mile.

Elsa

Thanks for the input everyone! Trust me I never push her when she sits, we all want the best for our dogs don't we? The vet said her feet and joints are fine and indeed it probably is just boredom- he suggested we do short sprints up and down the block to exercise her.

Elsa answered on 9/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer