Toby

Why does my dog not lift his leg to pee?

My dog is a male Alaskan Malamute aged 11 months. He never cocks his leg to pee, instead he just stands there and pees!!! Is this normal??!

Asked by Toby on Oct 15th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Rambo

Both of my intact males do this. Rambo is just now starting to lift his leg but it is only when he wants to mark something. I don't think it is an instinct thing and more of a see and do type thing. So since my boys don't see other males lifting their legs the don't even think to do it.

Rambo answered on 10/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

He probably won't do this for a while longer yet. Or, he might never do it.

But let me assure you that it's completely, totally normal. A small percentage of male dogs don't life their legs. What's more likely is that he's just slow to start doing this.

I've had dogs who did this right away in earlier puppyhood and some, like Jack who didn't really start until he was 14 months old, well over Toby's age.

That's all perfectly normal. It's more or less a partially learned, partially instinctive behavior and as a dog matures, the urge to do this (as well as learning from watching other dogs) kicks.

I think you'll more than likely be seeing him start in the next few months. He's adorable, by the way.

Max

Gererally dogs dont start this behaviour untill the are fully mature and even then usually only do it when the pee on a tree ar pole but not if they are only peeing on grass. If your dog is neutered he may never do this behavior.

Max answered on 10/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ikan

I had a dog that lived to be 17 only lifted his leg a couple of times. And that was when he was in the backyard and saw another male dog lift his so he tryed it and then went back to his normal way.

Ikan answered on 10/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chocolate

my dog doesn't lift his leg unless he wants to mark a wall,tree,or any other upright object.

Chocolate answered on 10/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Deogie turned 2 in July and just recently has mastered the leg lift. He still squats in his own yard. When he started to lift his leg, I had an embarrassing moment, I was mortified. Poor Deogie was so confused and he really didn't understand the rules that came with his new found talent. He lifted his leg and peed on a person before I realized what he was doing. OMD, well what do you say to that one..."ah sorry, he must like you." There was no sniffing, nothing, just a quick leg lift and peed. I watched him like a hawk whenever we talked to anyone after that.
It never bothered me when he would squat to pee. Some people would make fun of him calling him a sissy dog...haha not funny people!!!! or they would say, "why's your dog peeing like a girl?" Yeah too bad Deogie wouldn't pee on those people...BOL.

Some males never lift the leg - until they see another male do it! I know a dog who did not know that big boys lift the leg until he was 2 or 3 and visited with another male dog. His owners said he watched and they could tell he was processing the info, then he tried it!

Nibbles

I think it depends on the indivual dog. Nibbles lifted his leg around 6 months. Did not observe another dog and always lifts his leg to pee. No matter if it is on a tree or the ground. His yard or anyone elses. He has peed on his own leg and has barley missed me. Hasn't peed on anyone else. (Sorry Deogie!) When he was first learning to lift his leg he would wobble which was pretty funny. Now his balance is good but not always his aim. BOL!

Nibbles answered on 10/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I didn't life my leg to pee until I was almost 2 & I still pee with all 4 feet on the ground quite often!