Einstein

Why does my dog like cat poop?

My dog will sniff it out and eat cat poop. Why does he do this and is it bad for him? I can't stand to see it so I wash his mouth when he does it.

Thanks

Asked by Einstein on Feb 27th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Lola Penelope

Every single dog I've ever met has been able to scope out cat poo either from a cat litter box our outside under a bush. Apparently, due to the higher amount of protein in cat food dogs think their poo is a very tasty treat! Eating any poo can be bad, especially if the cat who left it has worms or other parasites. So you wanna do your best to keep your dog from eating it, and make sure all your animals get regular check ups, blood work, deworming if needed and shots. I don't believe washing out your pups mouth would do anything except for making his poop breath go away a bit BOL!

Lola Penelope answered on 2/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Well it is disgusting but I guess they smell the other food in it, like fish.
That's why I don't have cats, sorry.

Miss Buddie

I have a cat along with our dogs and they love to eat cat cookies. It's completely disgusting. We ended up getting a top entry cat box for the kitty. Keeps the dogs from sticking their faces into the box.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Birdy

LOL.... ah the old "almond rocha". Apparently it's the strong flavoring and fat in kitty poop that appeals to our pups.

It's not particularly BAD for you dog, but as the other answer said, if the cat is sick, worms or any other kind of parasite, your dot could possibly get it. Although in all the years I have had dogs and all the "almond rocha" they've ingested none ever have gotten sick.

Birdy answered on 2/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Stormy

I had the same problem, I swore my cat never pooped for like 6 months, lol....

You can buy litter boxes that have lids and "doggie flaps" or kittie flaps i guess) so the dog cant get in there.

Im cheap and didnt want to spend another 20 bucks getting a whole new litter box so I found an old cardboard box and basically built a "fort" around the litter box that is high enough that my poop eating dog couldnt bend her neck down far enough to reach in it. And cut a little cat width door out of it. Its open on top and bottom but you could also just put the litter pan IN a box with an open top but cardboard on the bottom, or vice versa flip the box over and have a closed top but the litter pan resting directly on the floor. (Just dont forget to cut out a kitty entrance!!)

Havent had a poop stolen since!! Though I do miss not smelling poop all day in the office! ;) Oh well.

Stormy answered on 2/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Here is a proper answer.
Cats digest their food really quickly! So what a cat leaves behind is actually a lot of nutrients and is basically "Fresh Food".
Most of it is undigested.
Your best result is to learn a command called "Leave It" A command that lets the dog know that you have a better treat than whats left behind! That should be followed up with a "LOOK" or "WATCH ME" command.
e.g.
Leave It
Belle Look!!! (Be excited and have fun)
and Reward with a tastier treat>Keep dog on leash.