Why does my dog lick other dogs urine?

We have an 11 month old Black Lab/Newfoundland mix. We got him when he was 9 weeks old at a local shelter. Recently he has started to lick other dogs urine. Even if he doesn't see where the other dog went to the bathroom he can smell it and goes straight to it. He will lick the grass and then foam at the mouth a little and his lips will quiver. Once he's on the trail there's no stopping him with voice commands, you have to physically remove him from the area so he doesn't lick it. Why does he do this and how can we get him to stop?

Asked by Member 470860 on Mar 24th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

HERBIE

IS THE OTHER DOG FEMALE?

MY HERBIE DOES THE SAME THING...QUIVERING LIPS AND ALL!!!

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD ITS BECAUSE OF THE FEMALE DOG, AND THE MALES ARE EITHER TRYING TO SENSE WHEN THE FEMALE IS GOING INTO HEAT, OR THE FEMALE PUT OFF A GOOD SMELL, AND THE MALES LIKE IT.

HERBIE WILL MARK THE AREA AFTER HE HAS SMELLED AND LICKED IT. I KNOW ITS NOT VERY CLEANILY.... HENCE WHY HERBIE GETS HIS MOUTH WIPED OUT WITH A WET CLOTH AFTERWARDS.
THERE IS NO STOPPING THE MALES FROM DOING THIS THAT I HAVE FOUND. ITS LIKE THEIR IN A TRANCE.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP A CLOTH READY

HERBIE answered on Mar 25th.

Answers

Maxwell-our Guardian angle

Ask a vet. I know that unine burns dogs skin though.

Maxwell-our Guardian angle answered on 3/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer