why does my dog kill cats

why does my dog kill cats? she first killed a kitten then another , now the neighbors cat

Asked by Member 607193 on Mar 13th 2008 in Aggression

Best Answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Yes it sounds like your dog sure has a strong prey drive alright. Here is the thing,if your dog was in your fenced yard during the time the killing happened then I would not worry.if your dog was loose and unattended then I would be concerned. See i don't think cats should be allowed to roam free just like dogs should not.Cats are just as much of a problem as dogs are when they run loose.Cats destroy things as well as dogs do when they are loose. If youare not with your dog when this is happening then you should not be ashamed of yourself.Sure your dog will be a dog but you know your dog soes this so it should NEVER be left unattended EVER!And if you are with your dog when it happens well I guess your lucky I am not allowed to write what I am thinking right now.
The point being -DON'T LET YOUR DOG OUT UNLESS YOU OR ANOTHER REASONABLE ADAULT CAN BE THERE TO WATCH HIM/HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on Mar 13th.

Answers

Miss Buddie

Sounds like your dog has a strong prey instinct. Lots of breeds do. You can do training to curb this instinct. You should contact a trainer or behaviorist. Your vet will have some recommendations for you.

Miss Buddie answered on 3/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Koby

Where is this happening, in your yard? I know this probably is something many people do not want to hear, but your dog is being a dog. Cats should not be coming into your yard, cats should not be outside, period. Coming from a wildlife biology background, cats are a menace to the environment.

That being said, if this is happening in your house, or on walks, then that is a problem. I would try to educate your neighbors about letting their cats outside.

Koby answered on 3/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

"Why" is the easy question to answer. Many breeds of dog have very strong predatory instincts. Meaning, if it's small and moves quickly, they will chase and kill it. Many dogs are that way with squirrels, mice, cats, and other small animals.

You can easily test whether your dog has strong prey instinct by tying a rag to a rope and flipping it around on the ground to get his interest, then moving it around and letting him chase. If he doesn't tire of the game and is very focused, he has strong prey instinct.

The good thing about this is that this is a drive you can use in training. You'll be able to reward with a ball or tug and make it a great, fun reward for your dog.

However, the other question here is: where's your dog and where are you when this happens? If your dog is unsupervised in the yard, your answer is simple: you need to be out there with your dog on a long line until you have 100% recall and leave it commands.

Thank You Haus, I agree please keep an eye out on your dog. :-)

Marlowe, CGC

Dogs are predators. Plain and simple. They've got those big sharp teeth for a reason.

But the real question here is why does this keep happening and why is no one doing anything about it?

The dog needs to be either behind a fence or on a tether (cats generally run a lot faster than dogs, though maybe with the kittens not so much) and climb things, so if the dog is properly contained, cats can usually get away. And there needs to be some supervision. We have a cat that comes around our fenced back yard every now and then, when the dogs aren't out (it would have to be the dumbest cat in the world to brave our yard when the dogs are out) but I always scan the yard before letting the dogs out, and we have a motion-detector light that comes on if something is back there moving. And I watch the dogs while they are out.

Also your neighbors need to realize that if they let their cats outside and they go near large predators like your dog, it may not end well. That's just nature.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 3/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer