why does my dog keep biting my husband but not me??

We got our chi 2 weeks ago. in the past week she has bitten my husband two times. the first time was an accident. we were in the bed in the dark and we moved around and she attacked whatever she could get a hold of and it happened to be his upper lip. that was a week ago. tonight i was sitting on the bed and she was sitting next to me and he tried to get in the bed too and attacked him. it was deliberate and it worries me. she is 4 and we know nothing about her past as we got her from a shelter, but my question is this:
*why does she bite him and not me?
*why is she so possessive over me, i'm never home with her and he is home all day with her?
*do you think it could be because he has a full beard and shes scared of him?
*how do i get her to stop being possessive over me and biting my husband?
*she ONLY bites my husband. she has NEVER been aggressive with me.

i feel like i can't keep her if she keeps biting like this. i'm afraid to have other people in the house because of it.

Asked by Member 847757 on Jul 2nd 2009 in Aggression

Answers

Perhaps your husband is aggresive in your dogs eyes?

Katie

She is being possessive of you, and trying to establish her rank. This is typical of a beta dog - a dog that wants to be alpha (top dog), but lacks the social skills and balance. She needs to learn that her rank is third in your household, following you and your husband, and that her challenges to your ranks will not work. Now, before you start thinking you have to be bossy or dominant, don't worry - you don't.

Because you have only had her two weeks, I recommend consulting a behaviorist/trainer who has worked with dog aggression. You don't mention whether she made your husband bleed, but even a Chihuahua can do some serious damage. Here is a link to my trainer's site, where you can find an article on selecting a reputable trainer: www.k9techsupport.com

I would also advise not sleeping with her in the same bed. She should have her own spot to sleep, preferably where she can see you. She hasn't earned the honor of sleeping with the alphas yet!

Katie answered on 7/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

She was either being possessive of you, or she felt that he was being aggressive. Is he a bit rough with her?

she must see men as a threat. You must teach her to accept him, maybe have him feed her and play with him. if she is biting him then she gets time outs. Then if she is guarding you you must place her down off the bed or furniture and maybe even scold her.
she must understand the biting is unacceptable at all times.
Have him walk her and bathe her also.
She has to get use to him handling her and making her understand he is the master as well. Sometimes just sharing the responsiblity of the whole dog changes the dog's view as well.

♥Minni Mouse♥

I too just got a Minpin/Chi mix from a shelter. With no background on the animal it can be hard. You say your husband is home all day. Does he hold her alot or not pay attention to her? If you then come home and, like the mommys we are you most likely hold and cuddle her alot. This make 'you' hers! She will protect what is hers.
The sleeping arrangments is not good. Either she should have her own bed or get a baby blanket and make her stay at the foot of your bed. No dog should ever be above the alpha. Your husband & you are both alphas. This dog could have been abused in the past by a man and protected by a women. These little dogs can be fiercely protective. Go to Breed Info on this website, and read about the Chi. Like I said I rescued a Minpin/Chi and a week later found out she has Epileptic seizures. I am trying to get her stableized on meds. I've never paid anything to get a dog in my life until this one. If I have to go without eating so she can have her meds, so be it!

♥Minni Mouse♥ answered on 7/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer