Why does my dog immediatley bury his treats,rawhide bones,strips. Will he go back for them later?

My dog will always bury his treats, rawhide bones, and beggin strips as soon as I give them to him. Why does he do this, and will he go back later and dig them up for a feast or leave them to be forgotten about? I have tried several different flavors and brands.

Asked by Member 549378 on Dec 22nd 2007 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Shinji

Well, the most basic reason is that he's saving them for later and he doesn't want anyone to take them, so he hides them in the ground, couch cushions, etc. I'm pretty sure this is instictual behavior. Back when dogs were wild, they would have to hide their food from other predators.

Will he go back for them later? Maybe - it depends on the dog. Just make sure you keep an eye on where he's doing this so you don't end up with something stinking up your couch or bed or attracting pests.

Shinji answered on 12/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maybe because to prevent any other animals from tacking them . Think about wolves they save them for later or when they want to play with them (toys in the mondern in the wild bones to play)Unlike my dog he eats and then digs nothing in them!