Kenya

Why does my dog hide her bones in my bed? Often under my pillow...

If I give my dog a pigs ear or lately even a smoked bone, she wants to take it and hide it under my pillow or at least in my bed. Why is that? She sometimes wants to eat it there as well. She started doing this with only pigs ears but lately its more with bones too, I've found cookie stains under my pillow as well as kibble. Is there a way I can get her to hide it in other places? (i'm not a big fan of the smoked bone smell in bed)

Asked by Kenya on Jun 20th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Your dog must have chosen that place as her territory. If she is used to sleeping on the bed that might be the case. Try claiming your space by not allowing her to get on the bed without your permission. Just get her off when she climbs up by herself and be sure to invite her on the bed first before she gets up. Whenever you give her the bone or whatever it is she hides get her off and out the room and don't allow her in. Only give her the bone when she is calm and out of the room and don't let her in with the bone in her mouth, she can only have it out of the room. If you still want her to hide things try setting up a sand box outside where you can encourage her to hide her bones. I am sure this will help.

Stormy

It really has nothing to do with "territory" but the dogs ancestral instincts to store food for later. I actually am going through the same thing right now with my Ridgeback. She will DEVOUR any food in a heartbeat but a few months back while folding laundry I found a chew in amongst the clothes. Just the other day I gave her a Greenies to chew on, the Jumbo ones. Shes had them before and will sit and eat them. Well on this particular day she strutted around the house with it in her mouth.. looking for a hiding spot. So I thought I would play along so I let her outside. She carried it throughout the yard and dug a shallow hole next to a tree and filled it back in. So I ruined her fun and dug it back up and gave it back to her. She then snuck around the yard and must have buried and unburied the bone in 5 places before she settled on one finally.

Its the same reason squirrels bury nuts for winter. Its to make sure there is food left for "hard times". Its purely instinctual.

Stormy answered on 6/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It's a dog's instinct to bury food for later consumption, and it's left over from their wild ancestors.
It's not hard to teach a dog to bury it's food outside if need be, and it's not hard to have them eat it where you want it or not eat it at all. You simply need to be firm, and patient. With my dogs, I tell pick up their food if they start to walk to another room with it and say "eat it here". After doing that one or two times, it has been easy to get them to eat their food in one spot. And on the occasion that they try to sneak away with the food again, I just have to say "uh-uh" and they drop it. After which I put it back and once again tell them to "eat it here".

Bruiser

Maybe it's because she loves you and does'nt want you to go hungry.

Bruiser answered on 6/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer