Why does my dog eat small stones and then vomit them back up?

My dog has access to a dog run with a stone base. I observed him scraping some of the stones aside to get at the soil beneath. While eating soil, he is also swallowing a number of small pebbles. This morning upon arising, I found two areas of vomit in the house that contained within them about a total of twenty small pebbles. Vomiting has been occuring mostly overnight inside the house (I cannot attest to daytime vomiting as he has free access to the dog run). He has, as of today, not been seen by a vet because I could not ascertain the stone content in the vomit. He is somewhat anxious and the past vomiting has been attributed to "nerves".

Asked by Member 1114464 on Jun 7th 2012 Tagged eatingdirt, vomiting in Behavior & Training

Answers

I would take him to the vet and have him checked out. He may have a deficiency. Some dogs eat anything and have to be watched constantly. Does he have things to do? Toys, exercise? Sometimes they will eat things if they are bored.

Wesley

Many dogs will eat dirt because of a mineral deficiency. I suggest you check into food grade diatomaceous earth. It's fantastic for issues like this. Make sure you buy only food grade, make sure you raise the amount slowly (for a large dog about a tablespoon will do as a full dose)and definitely make sure there is plenty of fresh water available to drink. Diatomaceous earth not only fills the deficiency of silica it also fills the deficiency of many valuable minerals. (It's fantastic for people too for the same reasons)

Wesley answered on 6/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer