why does my dog eat her poo?

boo is a beagle 3mon.old i give her lots of food but sometyms when i dont watch her closely n leave her alone i see her eat her own poo...i spank her but she still does it sumtyms...:(..ooh n she likes to eat dirt from my moms big pot too...will she ever stop? scared she might get sick

Asked by Member 872576 on Aug 31st 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Please don't spank her. It seldom is the right thing.

The best solution to stool eating, coprophagy, is cleaning them up before the dog has a chance. You can try food additives, the home remedies pineapple juice or canned pumpkin or the commercial products Forbid or Deter.

Why dogs do it is poorly understood. It may be diet related, but changing the dog's diet might cause worse problems. Whatever problems it causes for the owner, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog unless you are trying to clear up a worm infestation.

For more information see home.gci.net

Star

My chocy lab started doing this when my dad passed away. Someone said to me it could be something to do with his diet but he had been on the same food for years and was ok untill my dad died.
I used to do what the person advised you to do, clean it up before the dog gets a chance to eat it.
I never did find the reason for it but thought maybe it was because he had lost his best mate, my dad, prob all the stress and change started it off.
Maggie

Star answered on 8/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

By spanking you are creating New Problems.
You are teaching the dog to fear you.
The dog also does not know why you are doing this.
You must buy a pooper scooper, a large bucket with a bag and clean up the entire yard.
Puppy proof the house, what is not to be eaten or dug into must go out of sight
Every day go out and clean up her poo as soon as it comes out.
You can try Deter, potty mouth, and Forbid, but really what works is cleaning up daily as soon as it comes out.
That way the dog never gets to do it again. Well, accidents happen in the house and the dog may eat that as well.
Buy some dog toys, and leash train her, obedience class, just keep her busy

Your dog is a dog, not a human child. They don't respond to spanking. They see spanking as abuse and will eventually lash out at you.
Stop spanking the poor puppy. How mean can you be?
The dog is probably eating it's waste because there is something missing in it's diet or is eating too fast.

Man I hate it when people hit their defenseless animals.
You're going to have one mean dog if you keep up with hitting it. Good luck.

I was told, once, that some puppies will go along after their mothers eating the mother's feces. I hear they do this for the protein content. I don't know if this is written in stone, or not. Have you asked Boo's vet about it? Maybe there's some special puppy supplement the vet could suggest giving her.

As for the dirt in the pot--I hope there isn't a plant in there that Boo is trying to get. Some plants are so poisonous to dogs. Just the dirt could be, as well, if there is plant fertilizer mixed in with it.

Katie

Hi Boo!

Even before I read your page, I guessed that you came from a pet store. You see, almost every puppy that ends up in a pet store was born in a horrible place called a puppy mill. If so, your poor mother was forced to have a litter every time she came into heat, and kept in a cage with her puppies 24/7, with no break.

She probably tried to keep the cage and you and your brothers and sisters clean by eating your poop. And you probably had no other toys but your poop. Here is what my trainer says:

Poop is not disgusting to dogs. They sniff it all the time and will eat it occasionally. Your shouting, hitting, or nose-rubbing will be seen as some sort of bizarre unprovoked attack and your dog will begin to get the idea that you become dangerous when he defecates and will hide to do his business.

Your owners' responsibility is to keep your environment clean, and to treat you with love and kindness. They should give you exercise and start training you, so you will trust them. GL!

Katie answered on 8/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Storm

Can't tell you why, other than she is a puppy, however, I can tell you what worked for my german shepherd, Storm. Feed her one Fig Newton cookie each day. Don't know why it works, but it did with Storm. A guy that works at Man's Best Friend told me that. I did that for about 2 months and she hasn't offered to again. He said something about the figs after digested must put off an odor they do not want to eat!

Storm answered on 9/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

askville.amazon.com
Someones opinon they posted on the site thought itd help out:
"There are several reasons that dogs will consume their own feces. The most common cause is that the feces still contains minerals and other beneficial nutrients. This usually happens with younger dogs, however it can happen with any age dog. Dogs that do this because of nutritional deficiencies usually have a disorder known as Coprophagia. Getting the dog on a balanced nutritious diet will help. The dog may also need supplements to compensate for their deficiencies. Another thing you must do if you want this behavior to stop is to pick up/remove and properly dispose of the feces before your dog can get to it to eat it. I know, who wants to go around picking up dog poop…. But it is either, you picking it up, or you watching your dog eat it. Most puppies grow out of this behavior." - Someons post on the site.