Lulu

Why does my dog constantly roll over on her back toward the end of her walks?

I adopted my chiweenie about 8 months ago, and recently she has started acting strange on walks, which she loves. After about 20 minutes, she will roll over on her back on the ground, smiling maniacally and sometimes rubbing her back on the ground, and it's very hard to get her to walk again. Once she does get up she will walk about 10 feet and then roll onto her back again.
Is she tired? Does she just want attention- she does the same thing in the house when she wants a belly rub. Is she itching her back? Any ideas?

Asked by Lulu on Aug 7th 2008 Tagged leashwalking, chiweenie in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Wallace

Your dog is happy. You say she LOVES her walks, and this is her way of showing you. What do you do when she rolls over like this? Do you rub her belly? If she loves belly rubs, and you do not want this behavior, do NOT rub her belly when she does this. Pick her up, and make her start walking. You can use treats, or a favorite toy, to distract her and get her up and walking again. Keep persisting, but don't show her affection if it is not something you want her to be doing. Dogs will also roll on their backs to show submission, but if she is rolling around as though she is 'itching' her back, then she is most likely showing happiness. If she was tired, she would just stop walking, and/or just sit down. If she seems happy, she is just trying to get affection from you. Just keep trying to get her to go forward, and walk, and let her know belly rubs are only okay for in the house :)

Wallace answered on Aug 7th.

Answers

she is either itching her back or relieving stress in her own way. try giving her plenty of back scratches during the walk and see if that helps. or you can bring some yummy treats for a distract-redirect approach. if it does not work, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything- and it obviously makes her feel happy, so i, personally, wouldn't correct it.

Jake

If she is fairly young I would just say she is 'distracted' and wants to play or take a pause, etc. Otherwise she may be trying to tell you she is done with the walk. I'm not an expert, but just wanted to offer my opinion.

Jake answered on 8/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

I have a chichuahua and a miniature pinscher, and they both roll around on their back like they are scratching their back. However, there is one thing they do before the rolling - they are sniffing the ground. It's almost like something smells so good, they want to roll in it. I don't see any harm in it. They roll onto their backs in the house, but that's only to get their tummy rubbed. It seems like harmless behavior to me.

Sassy answered on 8/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Marley Kaya

I have a Golden Retriever who does this at the end of our walks too. What I've concluded is that she is hot and likes to roll in the grass to cool off - expecially if it's a shaded area. She'll roll around, smiling, just loving life. I would keep her leash tight until you want to let her roll around or sniff. I do this with my Golden (her job is to walk, not sniff, when we are on walks until the end of the walk) and let her leash loose at the end so she can walk ahead of me and sniff, which usually ends with her rolling around like a crazy girl.
It's all normal as far as I know. Nothing to worry about but training will help. Good luck!

Marley Kaya answered on 8/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer